Cover Image
close this bookBioconversion of Organic Residues for Rural Communities (UNU, 1979)
close this folderPerspectives on bioconversion of organic residues for rural communities
View the document(introduction...)
View the documentIntroduction
View the documentSources of available nutrients
View the documentThe most suitable materials for bioconversion
View the documentCharacteristics of residues
View the documentBioconversion systems
View the documentPhysical and chemical treatments
View the documentMicrobial conversion
View the documentThe animal conversion phase
View the documentSummary
View the documentReferences


For proper application of bioconversion systems, a detailed study of the optimum use that can be made of the biomass produced is necessary.

Only 5 per cent of the annual production of nutrients on land is used directly as food by man. Bioconversion systems making use of micro-organisms for SCP production can help the remaining 95 per cent to be utilized.

In most cases, food-producing farms are essential for making acceptable food for man from SCP. It is advisable to concentrate efforts, to a large extent, on the rural areas while making use of low-key technology that does not require large investments.

For the application of bioconversion, the development of stable village-scale fermentation technology and adequate evaluation of nutritional and toxicological aspects of the biomass produced form major obstacles.

A concentration on resources that are, in terms of quantity and allocation, particularly suitable for bioconversion seems advisable in order to avoid a dilution of efforts.

Of the cellulose-rich materials, straw is the most important. Among the starchy materials, the upgrading of cassava and its by-products to a protein-rich material shows good potential. Farm animal manure is considered a third major raw material that deserves high priority for upgrading.