|Agroforestry In-service Training: A Training Aid for Asia & the Pacific Islands (Peace Corps, 1984)|
· To develop a stronger and more confident understanding and working relationship among Peace Corps Volunteers and their respective Host Country National Counterparts.
· To identify and improve needed skill areas in agroforestry, site survey methodologies and development strategies.
· To broaden the participants knowledge of a variety of potential forestry extension techniques and enable them to practice these techniques.
· To give the participants confidence in recommending and incorporating, where appropriate, traditional or new systems of agroforestry in accordance with the local needs and conditions.
· To recognize the role of women in forestry and integrate women into community analysis and project planning for a holistic approach to human resource utilization and development.
· To provide participants the opportunity for information sharing on specific forestry issues and practices in their respective countries of service.
· Working in groups, counterparts (PCVs and HCNs) will gain an improved understanding of each other and thereby enhance their working relationship.
· Through lectures and field/site visits, participants will augment their knowledge and understanding of the environmental, economic and social implications of agroforestry practices.
· Trainees will view and discuss traditional methods of agroforestry practices in Asia and the Pacific and discuss those practiced in their respective countries.
· Analyze the environmental, economic and social aspects involved in carrying out an agroforestry project on a specific site. Participants will then prepare and present an integrated plan for the improvement of the site.
· Participants will examine various extension methodologies and experiment with a variety of extension techniques.
· Participants, through "hands-on" exercises will understand the principles of grafting and pruning fruit trees.
· Participants will gain "hands-on" experience in nursery management techniques.