|Case Studies on Technical and Vocational Education in Asia and the Pacific - Thailand (UNEVOC - ACEID, 1996, 30 p.)|
The existing linkages between TVE institutions and industry are developed through personal relationship and the willingness of industries. There is no law or any regulation to enforce formal participation of industries in TVE, even though TVE educators have striked for more than ten years. However, during the past few years, TVE institutions and central authorities have extensively worked with industries because of manpower shortages problems.
The existing linkages between TVE agencies and industries can be divided into two levels at the central level, and at the institutional level.
1. At the central level, linkages with industries are developed through the National Committee which is composed of a number of representatives from industries. Policy issues, guidelines, and macro solutions to problem related to TVE will be provided at this level. Core curriculum, which is developed at the central level, will be also involve industry's recommendations.
2. At the institutional level, participation of enterprise includes the following activities:.
· On-the-job training of students
· Job placement
· Pilot project on small scale enterprises
· In-service training of staff
· Research and development of technical and vocational education system
· Curriculum and teaching media development
· Funding for institutional activities
As mentioned before, participation of enterprises in technical and vocational education in Thailand is not based on any act but with their consideration and willingness. Therefore, the degree of participation of enterprises is still reliant upon institutional personnel's efforts and personnel relationships.