|Case Studies on Technical and Vocational Education in Asia and the Pacific - Islamic Republic of Iran (UNEVOC - ACEID, 1996, 24 p.)|
|2. TVE Future Situation and Forecast|
Studies done related to TVE and its role in second five year National Economic Plan (Iranian year 1373 to 1377, corresponding to March 1994 to March 1999) show that by 1999 approximately 35,000 technicians will be needed in the country. These technical and vocational job openings will be in all of the different sectors of the economy (Figure 2).
A snapshot of the current TVE facilities and capacities in Iranian year 1372 (93/94) is as follows:
· Existing TVE short course centres under 115 centres the Ministry of Labour
· Current trainees in the facilities mentioned above are 151,000 trainees under the Ministry of Labour
· Twenty-two existing TVE two year program centres the Ministry of Education
· 33,000 current trainees in the facilities mentioned above under the Ministry of Education
· Thirty-five existing TVE programs under centres governmental ministries (e.g. Ministries of Agriculture, Industries, etc.)
· 8,000 current trainees in the facilities mentioned above under other governmental ministries
The total of all formal TVE trainees from all sources (excluding Ministry of Labour short-term programs) is reported at 45,000 trainees for the year 1372 (93/94).
The corresponding target of number of TVE trainees for the end of second five-year plan is projected at 120,000 trainees in the year 1377 (1998/99).
Table 2 and Figure 3 show the projected TVE enrolment in Iran's second five-year Economic Plan.