FAO Farm Systems Management Series
These guidelines have been prepared for trainers to conduct courses in Farming Systems Development, which are part of FAO's efforts to promote farming systems thinking through education, training and networking.
2. Risk Analysis in Dryland Farming Systems, 1992 (English)
This documentation provides appropriate techniques and methods to confront the burden of the pervasive risks and uncertainties that small-scale farmers face in their task of resource management.
3. The forest garden farms of Kandy, Sri Lanka, 1992 (English)
A farming systems approach is used here to describe, quantify and evaluate the forest-garden farm. The study illustrates how such an approach can help in the evaluation and planning of appropriate agro-economic systems.
4. Changes and development in Solo Valley farming systems, Indonesia, 1992 (English)
Results of a study that was undertaken in early 1988 to identify the changes that had occurred in the farming systems of selected villages in Central Java during the 14 year period from 1974 to 1988.
5. Institutionalization of a Farming Systems Approach to Development, 1993 (English)
Possibilities of institutionalizing a Farming Systems Approach to Development in agricultural research, extension, education and administration.
6. Farm management research for small farmer development, 1993 (English, French, Spanish)
This manual focus on research methods appropriate for small farm analysis and its orientation to determining the needs of small farmer development.
7. Farming Systems Development and Soil Conservation, 1994 (English, French, Spanish)
A conceptual framework is developed for the incorporation of the FSD approach, and FSD techniques are outlined that could be useful in identifying, designing, testing and implementing relevant soil conservation strategies.
8. Farm and community information use for agricultural programmes and policies, 1994 (English)
Topics addressed include micro-level information acquisition, micro-level analytical methods and supporting institutional arrangements.
9. Methods of micro-level analysis for agricultural programmes and policies, 1994 (English, French, Spanish)
An overview is provided of the main methods used in agricultural economics to collect and analyze micro-level information, including both informal approaches and more formal surveys and mathematical models, and examines their use in the formulation of agricultural programmes and policies.
10. The Farming Systems Approach to Development and appropriate technology generation, 1995 (English, French, Spanish)
This publication provides guidelines on procedures useful to farming systems personnel in accomplishing one of the main thrusts of the farming systems approach to development (FSD): the design and improvement of relevant technologies.
11. L'évolution des systèmes de production agropastorale par rapport au développement rural durable dans les pays d'Afrique soudano-sahélienne, 1996 (French)
12. El desarrollo de
los sistemas de agricultura campesina en América Latina Un análisis
de la influencia del contexto socioeconómico, 1996 (Spanish)
This documentation provides
analytical frameworks and techniques pertinent to the planning and management
of farm systems, and exploits informal knowledge and village lore which
provide insight into the possibility of applying modern farm management
techniques in the context of farm systems in old traditional but inevitably
Note: Farm Systems Management Series can be obtained through FAO local sales agents or directly from: