|Supplement: Wind Forces on Emergency Storage Structures (NRI)|
It is recommended that manufacturers and donors answer the following questions before supplying emergency stores:
· What is the correct 3-second gust speed for the exact location of the store?
· Have adequate foundations been provided, especially in sandy soils?
· Is the structure shape adequately covered by CP3?
· Are the properties of the cladding materials known for tropical exposure?
· Have diagrammatic, easily comprehensible erection instructions been provided ?
In this context the following addresses may be useful.
Gust speeds are obtained from reliable local data or from:
The Meteorological Office
Berks RG12 2SZ
Telephone: 0344 420242
If there is some doubt about design, manufacturers and donors can contact: The Buildings and Livestock Division Agricultural and Food Research Council (AFRC) Institute of Engineering Research
Bedford MK45 5HS
Telephone: 0525 60000
Department of the Environment
Building Research Establishment (BRE)
Building Research Station
Watford WD2 7JR
Telephone: 0923 894040
for advice on tropical applications.