|Better Farming Series 38. Better Freshwater Fish Farming: Raising Fish in Pens and Cages (FAO, 1990, 83 p.)|
87. You must always watch you fish to see that they are healthy and swimming strongly.
88. If the fish in your pen are not well, they will stop eating.
89. It this happens, stop feeding your fish for a day or two.
90. When you begin to feed them again, at first give them small amounts of food and then slowly more and more. When your fish begin to eat as before you will know that they are well again.
91. If you find any dead fish floating in the pen, take them out right away.
92. Then, stop feeding your fish and watch them very carefully during the next days.
93. If no more fish die you can begin to feed them after a day or two.
94. If fish continue to die take them out as soon as you can and ask your extension agent or fishery officer for help.
95. You have already been told that a pen can be easily damaged. If this happens your fish may get out.
96. So, check the pen fence every day to be sure that there are no holes. At the same time, you should check that the fence is well buried in the pen bottom.
97. If you find any places where your fish can get out, repair them right away.
98. In addition, you must be sure that the openings in the fence are free of dirt and plants so that fresh water can flow into the pen.
99. You can clean the fence of a pen using a brush or a broom. However, do it very gently so that you do not damage the fence material.