|Farming snails 1: Learning about snails; Building a pen; Food and shelter plants |
source ref: fb33fe.htm
|Learning about snails|
11. To farm snails is not hard; however, it is quite different from keeping chickens or ducks or from growing crops such as maize, rice, cassava or groundnuts.
12. Since farming snails is so different from other kinds of farming, you will have to learn a lot of new things.
13. One way to learn about snails so that you will be able to farm them is to watch the wild snails that live near you.
14. Try to see how they live, how they move and where they go, what plants they like best and what they eat.
15. You can learn many things by watching wild snails that will help you later if you decide to start a snail farm.
16. Another way to learn about snails is to ask an older farmer who knows a lot about your area. If there are people near you who gather snails to sell to others, they may be able to help you.
17. In the next part of this booklet, you will begin to learn some things that you need to know to farm snails.