|Farming snails 1: Learning about snails; Building a pen; Food and shelter plants |
source ref: fb33fe.htm
|Learning about snails|
52. Dew at night in the growing season helps the plants to grow and makes the leaves and the ground wet so that snails can move about.
53. Rain in the growing season also helps the plants to grow and it cleans the plants of dust and the dirt that snails leave when they move about. The dirt that snails leave may make them sick.
54. So, it is very important that the food and shelter plants are wet and clean.
55. When the leaves are wet, snails move easily, eat more and grow well. When the leaves are dry, snails move very little, or not at all, and they grow poorly.
56. When it rains and the plants are clean, the snails will be healthy. When it does not rain and the plants are dirty, the snails may get sick.
57. Dew and rain also keep the ground moist so that the snails can move easily and dig into it to rest and to lay their eggs.
58. In the next booklet, you will be told how to wet the leaves of plants and moisten the ground when it is too dry.