[greenstone-users] Problem Building Remote Collection

From Anupama of Greenstone Team
DateTue Mar 10 18:56:02 2009
Subject [greenstone-users] Problem Building Remote Collection
In-Reply-To (49A6F13F-5050606-hawaii-edu)
Hi Daniel,

We'll have to investigate your problem, but in the meantime, could you
try evading it by allocating a larger stacksize to the Java Virtual
Machine when running GLI.


1. Open the file gli.bat (if you're on Windows) or gli.sh (if you're on
Linux) in a very basic text editor. If on Windows, I'd advise you to
open it in Notepad rather than Wordpad.


2 a. If you're on Linux, then in *gli.sh*, find the line:

basic_command="$javapath -Xmx128M -classpath
classes/:GLI.jar:lib/apache.jar:lib/qfslib.jar
org.greenstone.gatherer.GathererProg"

b. If you're on Windows, then in *gli.bat* find the TWO occurrences of
the line
- "%JAVA_EXECUTABLE%" -Xmx128M -cp
classes/;GLI.jar;lib/apache.jar;lib/qfslib.jar ....


3. Change the occurrences of "-Xmx128M" to "-Xmx256M". Try running GLI
again and see if the StackOverflow problem is gone.


4. If the above did not work, repeate but by changing the value to
-Xmx512M.
This is now allocating half a Gigabyte of memory to the program, instead
of the original 128 Megabytes.


Tell us if the above doesn't help.

Hopefully, it will allow you to finally get on with your work, while we
look into the real causes behind it.

Regards,
Anupama

Daniel Ishimitsu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Any help would be appreciated! I have a Greenstone collection that
> consists of 1,200 web pages with a total of 16,000 images (gif and jpg).
> I'm trying to build the collection using the remote GLI (I tried both
> the applet and the separate client program) but I get a
> StackOverflowError along the way.
> Loading the collection is fine (it takes about 4 minutes), I click on
> the Create tab, then click on Complete Rebuild, then Build Collection.
> After about 15 minutes I get an import complete message, but the program
> seems stuck in a loop and the console displays the stackoverflowerror.
> Below is a snipped version of the logs and also the stacktrace.
> Other added bits of messiness:
> We're hosting the server on a linux machine, but using the remote
> client/applet from a windows machine. The collection was initially built
> on a windows box and moved to the linux machine (I tried creating it
> from scratch remotely but the Gather stage stopped responding after a
> few hundred images were uploaded)
>
>
> Greenstone Message Log:
> ************** Import Started **************
> The file is being processed by IndexPlugin.
> The file ttp_htms/3146.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
> The file ttp_htms/2847.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
> The file ttp_htms/2482.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
> The file ttp_htms/4038.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
> ...
> The file ttp_htms/3026.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
> The file ttp_htms/3101.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
> ************** Import Finished **************
> 1227 documents were considered for processing:
> 1222 documents were processed and included in the collection.
> 5 were rejected.
>
>
> Console Output:
> *********************************************
> Import complete
> *********************************************
> <ImportComplete considered='1227' processed='1222' blocked='0'
> ignored='0' failed='5'>
> * 1227 documents were considered for processing
> * 1222 were processed and included in the collection
> * 5 were rejected
> See /opt/gsdl/collect/trustter/etc/fail.log for a list of unrecognised
> and/or rejected documents
>
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.remote.RemoteGreenstoneServer.sendCommandToServer(RemoteGreenstoneServer.java:505)
>
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.remote.RemoteGreenstoneServerAction$RunScriptAction.perform(RemoteGreenstoneServerAction.java:537)
>
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.remote.ActionQueue.run(ActionQueue.java:134)
> Exception in thread "RemoteGreenstoneServerActionQueue"
> java.lang.StackOverflowError
> at sun.awt.AppContext.get(Unknown Source)
> at
> com.sun.java.swing.SwingUtilities3.getDelegateRepaintManager(Unknown
> Source)
> at javax.swing.RepaintManager.getDelegate(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.RepaintManager.addDirtyRegion(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.repaint(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.repaint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.setFont(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.LookAndFeel.installColorsAndFont(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLabelUI.installDefaults(Unknown
> Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLabelUI.installUI(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JLabel.setUI(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JLabel.updateUI(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JLabel.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JLabel.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
> Source)
> ...(continues for about 1000 times)
>
> Thanks,
>