[greenstone-users] the wvWare solution

From Katherine of Greenstone Team
DateThu Dec 18 15:32:15 2008
Subject [greenstone-users] the wvWare solution
In-Reply-To (493A8B8A-3010804-sdb-org)
Hi Julian

We are just about to release the final 2.81 release. The windows and
Linux binary versions have been updated to include static binaries for
the new wvWare version. The Mac binary release, and source release, will
remain with the old wvWare.
We didn't want to include the new version in the source release as it
takes about 80Mb by the time you add in all the dependencies. But people
working from source releases can always install it themselves if they
need to.

Our focus for this problem next year will be to try and use Open Office
to convert Word etc documents, so that we can handle Office 2007 documents.

Thanks for prompting us about this.

Cheers,
Katherine

Julian Fox wrote:
> Dear List,
> An issue that has bugged me for a while is now resolved - simply
> enough, I must add, but I wonder if people in the GS Team could take a
> note of this please, if they have not already done so for 2.81. It
> concerns the version of wvWare that comes with 2.80, and which handles
> conversion of MS files, particularly Word. It is an older version,
> and while wvWare has remained somewhat static for a few years, there
> is a newer version 1.2.4 which works better than the one shipped with
> GS 2.80. Could this newer version be included, please, in upgrades of
> GS?
> I realise that the issue is less important for Windows users, who can
> overcome problems by using Windows scripting, but in my case, using
> Ubuntu 8.10 and GS 2.80, MSWord files were simply not being converted
> to html as they should be, and I was left with hieroglyphics instead
> of readable text. By replacing the wvWare file in the gsdl/bin/linux
> folder (that was sufficient, nothing else needed) with the 1.2.4
> version I resolved the problem. It also seems to have resolved a
> similar problem I was having with ppt files. I might add, for anyone
> using Linux, that I had to download a few lib file dependencies to
> compile wvWare, and that kept me a bit preoccupied for a while until I
> succeeded, but that's by the way. Beyond that, the problem was resolved.
> Julian
>
> _______________________________________________
> greenstone-users mailing list
> greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users
>