Re: [greenstone-users] GLI Applet - Collection cannot be opened

From Michael Dewsnip
DateWed, 30 Aug 2006 10:01:28 +1200
Subject Re: [greenstone-users] GLI Applet - Collection cannot be opened
In-Reply-To (96e0484d0608251023v5359c216u3ed5ad80f816cc71-mail-gmail-com)
Hi Galvin,

OK, it looks like it's having trouble parsing the plugin and classifier
information from the server. Can you please try accessing


http://<server>/gsdl/cgi-bin/gliserver.pl?cmd=get-script-options&script=buildcol.pl&xml=&language=en

in your browser and see what the output is.

All the best,

Michael

Galvin Clancey wrote:

> Thank you very much for helping me through this, Michael.
>
> 1) Yes, I'm using Greenstone v2.70w
>
> 2) I'm using Apache web server configured
>
> 3) When I input my username and password I am presented with a list of
> collections, yes.
>
> 4) I have a .col file for my collections in the folder you specified,
> but it still says that it cannot be opened.
>
> 5) When I select a collection, I get the following printout in the DOS
> prompt:
>
> Greenstone Librarian Interface (GLI)
> Copyright (C) 2005, New Zealand Digital Library Project, University Of
> Waikato
> GLI comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see LICENSE.txt
> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> Checking Java: C:WINDOWSsystem32
>
> Running the Greenstone Librarian Interface...
> Deleting user's local collect directory...
> Done.
> gliserver args: cmd=download-collection-configurations
> gliserver args: cmd=download-collection&c=sustaina
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicProgressBarUI.updateSizes(Unknown Source)
>
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicProgressBarUI.getBox(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsProgressBarUI.paintIndeterminate(Unknown
> Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicProgressBarUI.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintWithOffscreenBuffer(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
> at
> javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
>
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
> gliserver args: cmd=get-script-options&script=buildcol.pl&xml=&language=en
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The entity name must immediately follow
> the '&' in the entity reference.
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1196)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XMLDocumentScanner.java:626)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1309)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java:381)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1081)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.util.XMLTools.parseXML(XMLTools.java:170)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.loadArguments(ScriptOptions.java:295)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.<init>(ScriptOptions.java:55)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.Collection.<init>(Collection.java:109)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.loadCollectionInternal(CollectionManager.java:895)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.access$100(CollectionManager.java:82)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager$LoadCollectionTask.run(CollectionManager.java:794)
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.loadArguments(ScriptOptions.java:324)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.<init>(ScriptOptions.java:55)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.Collection.<init>(Collection.java:109)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.loadCollectionInternal(CollectionManager.java:895)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.access$100(CollectionManager.java:82)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager$LoadCollectionTask.run(CollectionManager.java:794)
> gliserver args: cmd=get-script-options&script=import.pl&xml=&language=en
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The entity name must immediately follow
> the '&' in the entity reference.
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1196)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XMLDocumentScanner.java:626)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1309)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java:381)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1081)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.util.XMLTools.parseXML(XMLTools.java:170)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.loadArguments(ScriptOptions.java:295)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.<init>(ScriptOptions.java:55)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.Collection.<init>(Collection.java:110)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.loadCollectionInternal(CollectionManager.java:895)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.access$100(CollectionManager.java:82)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager$LoadCollectionTask.run(CollectionManager.java:794)
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.loadArguments(ScriptOptions.java:324)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.ScriptOptions.<init>(ScriptOptions.java:55)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.Collection.<init>(Collection.java:110)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.loadCollectionInternal(CollectionManager.java:895)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.access$100(CollectionManager.java:82)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager$LoadCollectionTask.run(CollectionManager.java:794)
> gliserver args:
> cmd=get-script-options&script=classinfo.pl&xml=&language=en&listall=
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicProgressBarUI.updateSizes(Unknown Source)
>
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicProgressBarUI.getBox(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsProgressBarUI.paintIndeterminate(Unknown
> Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicProgressBarUI.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintWithOffscreenBuffer(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
> at
> javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
>
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
> Failed when trying to parse XML stream
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The entity name must immediately follow
> the '&' in the entity reference.
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1196)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XMLDocumentScanner.java:626)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1309)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java:381)
> at
> org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1081)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.CollectionDesignManager.XMLStringToDOM(CollectionDesignManager.java:265)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.ClassifierManager.loadClassifiers(ClassifierManager.java:410)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.ClassifierManager.loadClassifiers(ClassifierManager.java:375)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.ClassifierManager.<init>(ClassifierManager.java:77)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.CollectionDesignManager.loadDesignDetails(CollectionDesignManager.java:131)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.CollectionDesignManager.<init>(CollectionDesignManager.java:108)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.loadCollectionInternal(CollectionManager.java:932)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.access$100(CollectionManager.java:82)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager$LoadCollectionTask.run(CollectionManager.java:794)
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.ClassifierManager.loadClassifiers(ClassifierManager.java:413)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.ClassifierManager.loadClassifiers(ClassifierManager.java:375)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.ClassifierManager.<init>(ClassifierManager.java:77)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.CollectionDesignManager.loadDesignDetails(CollectionDesignManager.java:131)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.cdm.CollectionDesignManager.<init>(CollectionDesignManager.java:108)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.loadCollectionInternal(CollectionManager.java:932)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager.access$100(CollectionManager.java:82)
> at
> org.greenstone.gatherer.collection.CollectionManager$LoadCollectionTask.run(CollectionManager.java:794)
>
> =================================
>
> Now this leads me to believe that I have a problem with the way Java
> is installed, but I don't know how to check for this. I installed both
> java and the SDK, and when I go to the site:
>
> http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/gsdl/cgi-bin/gliserver.pl?cmd=check-installation,
> I get the following message:
>
>Java found: java version "
>1.5.0_08"
>Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_08-b03)
>Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_08-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
>
>Installation OK!
>
>
>
> Again, thank you very much,
>
> Galvin Clancey
>
> On 8/24/06, *Michael Dewsnip* <mdewsnip&#64;cs.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:mdewsnip@cs.waikato.ac.nz>> wrote:
>
> Hi Galvin,
>
> OK, let's start from the beginning.
>
> - You're using Greenstone v2.70w, correct?
>
> - Are you using Apache or IIS?
>
> - Please start with the GLI client (ie. client-gli.bat). The GLI
> applet
> adds another layer of complexity that we don't need while
> debugging this
> problem.
>
> - Choose File -> Open. You're asked for your username and
> password, then
> do you get a list of collections?
>
> - The collection files should be in C:Documents and
> Settings<Username>Application DataGreenstoneGLIcollect. The
> "Application Data" folder is usually hidden, so make sure your
> Explorer
> is set to show hidden files.
>
> - Are there any errors showing in the client-gli.bat DOS prompt?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>
>
>
> Galvin Clancey wrote:
>
> > Yes, I can access Greenstone using the web browsers of various
> > computers. The gsdlhome entry in gsdlsite.cfg points to C:Program
> > FilesGreenstone, which I assume is correct.
> >
> > Galvin
> >
> > On 8/23/06, *Michael Dewsnip* <mdewsnip@cs.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:mdewsnip@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
> > <mailto:mdewsnip@cs.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:mdewsnip@cs.waikato.ac.nz>>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Galvin,
> >
> > Please check that the "gsdlhome" entry of the C:Program
> > FilesGreenstonecgi-bingsdlsite.cfg file (on the server)
> is correct.
> > Can you access Greenstone successfully from your web browser?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Michael
> >
> >
> >
> > Galvin Clancey wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think I've made my problem very clear:
> > >
> > > I have installed the web server version on one computer
> (server) and
> > > have setup the GLI applet for off-site access. When I try
> to use
> > the
> > > GLI applet to login to the server from any computer, I get the
> > error I
> > > described. I just tried now to create a new collection
> using the GLI
> > > applet, and I got a similar error:
> > >
> > > An error has occurred on the remote Greenstone server while
> > performing
> > > this operation:
> > > Collection <name> does not exist.
> > >
> > > Yes, the username on this computer is User1. I cannot find a
> > .col file
> > > on the client computer, only on the server computer in the
> expected
> > > location (c:Program FilesGreenstone. . .).
> > >
> > > I have an existing collection on the server, and the only
> thing
> > I want
> > > to do is remotely add/edit entries in that collection.
> > >
> > >
> > > Galvin
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On 8/21/06, * Katherine Don* <kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
> > <mailto: kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz <mailto:kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz>>
> > > <mailto:kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz> <mailto:kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz>>>>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Galvin
> > >
> > > Now I have just reread the first sentence, and you are
> trying to
> > > use the
> > > applet version??
> > > If you are using the applet or gli client then it will
> save
> > locally
> > > parts of the collection in C:Documents and
> > > Settings<username>Application
> DataGreenstoneGLIcollect.
> > >
> > > Try creating a new collection - does this work??
> > > Is your username User1??
> > > Maybe the gli is getting this wrong somehow.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Katherine
> > >
> > > Galvin Clancey wrote:
> > > > I setup the GLI applet today, and everything was going
> > smoothly
> > > until it
> > > > was completely installed. When I open the client-gli.bat
> > file, the
> > > > Librarian opens up properly. I tell it to open my
> > collection (it
> > > doesn't
> > > > work with both my collection and the demo
> collection) and
> > I get the
> > > > following error:
> > > >
> > > > The collection at:
> > > > C:Documents and SettingsUser1Application
> > > > DataGreenstoneGLIcollectdemodemo.col
> > > > cannot be opened.
> > > >
> > > > I'm not sure why the GLI is looking in the directory
> > because it
> > > doesn't
> > > > exist. My collections are saved in the C:Program
> > > > FilesGreenstonecollect directory, and I don't
> know what
> > to do
> > > about
> > > > this. Even though it gives me an error, I still have
> read
> > and write
> > > > capabilities with the collection through the Gather
> tab, but I
> > > cannot
> > > > use the Enrich, Design, or Create tabs.
> > > >
> > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > > >
> > > > Galvin Clancey
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > greenstone-users mailing list
> > > > greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz>
> > <mailto: greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz>>
> > > <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz>
> > <mailto: greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz>>>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users
> <https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users>
> > >
> >
> <https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users
> > <
> https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users>>
> > >
> > >
> >
> >------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >_______________________________________________
> > >greenstone-users mailing list
> > > greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz>
> > <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> <mailto:greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz>>
> > >
> https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>