Re: [greenstone-users] Web Library - Internal IP Address problem

From Anastasia Henny Mariane S
DateTue, 3 Jan 2006 16:51:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject Re: [greenstone-users] Web Library - Internal IP Address problem
In-Reply-To (43BAF005-4080707-dlconsulting-co-nz)
Hi Richard,
 
Thanks a lot for your help. I have contacted the Network Admin in the university to help me to setup the IP things. Thank you.
 
Sincerely,
henny

Richard Managh <richard@dlconsulting.co.nz> wrote:
Hi Henny,

I would assume that if you are using a lan to connect to the internet,
there is either a computer acting as a router, or a router between the
machines in the lan, and the internet.

So you might have:

your computer o ---- your LAN's router o ---- ( The internet ) ----
o your professor's computer

If this simple diagram accurately describes the links between your
computer and your professor's computer, then yes you are correct when
you say that

I believe the problem was because my Web library address is using the
internal IP address which can only be recognized by machines under the
same LAN with me.

Since computers on internal LANs have ip addresses that are not
available directly to computers on the internet there has to be some way
of mapping from your professors computer to your computer's webserver on
your internal LAN.

One way to do this, is port forwarding. You configure, or you ask your
network administrator to configure your LAN's router so that when
outside computers (including your professor's computer) connect to your
LAN's router from the internet on a certain port, the communication is
forwarded to your computer.

Lets say your computer has an internal LAN ip address of 192.168.0.2
Lets say your router has an internal LAN ip address of 192.168.0.1

Lets say your router has an external internet ip address of 202.23.45.12

Its (most likely) possible to configure your router so that when your
professors computer
connects to it on a certain port, lets say port 80, it would forward the
connection to your computer, and your professor would be able to browse
your collection.

In this example your professor would use a url that begins with
http://202.23.45.12:80/ and that would connect with your internal
computer if port forwarding is set up properly on your LANs router.

In this case you need to ask your network administrator to set up port
forwarding to your computer, or if you are on a home LAN, you need to
read up on your router's documentation to determine how to set up port
forwarding on it to your computer.


Hope this helps,

Richard
--
DL Consulting
Greenstone Digital Library and Digitisation Specialists
contact@dlconsulting.co.nz
www.dlconsulting.co.nz


-:- henny -:- wrote

> Dear All,
>
> I managed to convert my collection from local library to Web library
> and asked my Professor to access the collection. But, it didn't work.
> It gave the page could not be found message. I believe the problem was
> because my Web library address is using the internal IP address which
> can only be recognized by machines under the same LAN with me. Or this
> is not the reason? FYI, I'm using Windows XP Professional OS, Apache
> Server, Greenstone 2.62, internet wireless broadband. My main question
> is: how to make my Web library be accessible by anyone (except using a
> domain to broadcast), within the same or different LAN?
>
> I have tried to find the answer from the archive messages, but
> couldn't find suitable one. Some have discussed about the Web library
> & IP address problem within the same network/LAN.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Merry Christmas
> to everyone who celebrate it.
>
> Sincerely,
> Henny M. S.
> M.Sc. Information Studies
> Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
> E-mail: henn0001@ntu.edu.sg
> anastasiahenny@yahoo.com
>
> Visit: www.anymotions,blogspot.com
>
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>greenstone-users mailing list
>greenstone-users@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
>https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-users
>
>



Yahoo! Photos
Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.