|From||Ingenkamp, Ms Nina (CAM)|
|Date||Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:22:01 +0700|
|Subject||[greenstone-users] How difficult is Greenstone?|
|Dear Greenstone Mailing List,
Many greetings from Phnom Penh! I am contacting you to enquire about the Greenstone software. So here is what I would like to do:
WHO Cambodia would like to assist the Government of Cambodia to establish an inventory of all HIV/AIDS research studies, that have ever or are presently conducted in Cambodia. Ideally, we would like to create a digital library on the website of the National AIDS Authority NCHADS. As far as my knowledge goes, greenstone seems to be one of the best open source software to create a digital library. We have about two or three months to complete the library
I think I have understood in basics how the greenstone library works - you download the software, you install the admin user interface, you convert all documents into html and store it in the library. However, the details are still a bit unclear to me.
1. How long does it take to get familiar with the software? Is it very difficult / time-consuming?
2. Is it self-explaining or would I need to attend a workshop to understand it?
3. In how far do I need to be aware of html?
4. Are there greenstone experts that could assist me in setting up the library?
5. In case greenstone should be too advanced, is there a different easy-to-use software you would recommend?
I am very much hoping for a fast reply, as our time is short!
Your fast feedback will therefore be very much appreciated!
World Health Organization
Mobile: + 855 92 319792