[greenstone-devel] Rendering special characters

From Beatriz Salazar
DateTue, 9 Nov 2004 18:38:11 -0500
Subject [greenstone-devel] Rendering special characters
Hi, please help us:

We have met the same problem that Jim Elmborg brought to this list on March
2004 about errors in rendering special characters. We have tried to apply
the solutions given by John R. McPherson, but they didn´t work.

Elmborg wrote:
> Hello All,
> After multiple builds, I'm still losing all the diacritics from non
English
> names when building a library.
> ... any character with a diacritical mark is removed from the library.
> Gábór becomes Gbr.


It´s basically the same problem. We are using Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora core 1),
Greenstone 2.41 and Perl 5.8.3 on Linux. Tried to install Greenstone 2.5,
but had compiling problems.

We are puzzled because there were not rendering problems until a few months
ago, and we are working with the same version of Greenstone and the same
collections. Only rebuilt collections are having problems. The only change
we made was replacing Red Hat 9 by Apache/2.0.50 Fedora core 1 with Perl
5.8.3.

The xml files in the archives directory are the same that were rendered
correctly before (we compared the xml files for the same items); but in the
LDB file in the index/text directory, the collections that have this problem
show accented characters.

Regards

B.Salazar