We're pleased to announce that the Windows, GNU/Linux, MacOS X and
Source distributions of Greenstone v2.61 are now available for download
from our sourceforge page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/greenstone,
or via http://www.greenstone.org
We now follow the scheme of creating "unstable" (odd version numbers)
and "stable" releases (even version numbers). This release is an
unstable release which means it contains a lot of new functionality,
some of which will be a bit flaky. If you don't need any of the new
functionality you may prefer to wait for the next stable release
(version 2.62) before upgrading. However we do need people to give this
a good workout and report any bugs found so the next release really will
be a stable one.
Important changes in this release include, in no particular order:
- Improved PDF, Word and PPT plugins. The Word and PPT plugins, on a
windows system, can take advantage of Microsoft Visual Basic for
Applications to improve their conversion to HTML/PagedImg formats.
- New plugin for RealMedia files
- New GenericList classifier: Like AZList/AZCompactList but supports
- Improved metadata editing in the GLI
- Added support for indexing document level metadata at section level.
- More formatting options, including [child:metadata],
- z3950 support: z3950server added, and z3950 client support added for
Windows and MacOS. Documentation on how to enable this coming soon.
- Bug fixes for lucene collections
- Initial attempt to make collection building in the GLI a bit more
intelligent. e.g. only run the import phase if the source documents have
changed, etc. Lucene collection building now incremental.
- collectionmeta now accessed from the config file, not the database -
no longer need to rebuild the collection when changing collectionmeta.
- ...and many many other improvements and bug fixes
We want to ensure that Greenstone works well for you. Please report any
problems to firstname.lastname@example.org, or on one of the Greenstone
All the best,
On behalf of the Greenstone team
PS New versions of the Export collection package and Greenstone Language
Pack will follow over the next couple of weeks.