We are pleased to announce the new Greenstone 3 project on sourceforge:
Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X binary releases are available for download.
Greenstone 3 is a redesign and reimplementation of Greenstone
(Greenstone 2). It aims to improve the flexibility, modularity and
extensibility of Greenstone. It is written in Java, and runs as a Java
servlet. It consists of a network of modules communicating with XML.
Greenstone 3 remains backwards compatible with Greenstone 2 collections.
Please note, Greenstone 3 is our research version of Greenstone, and is
still incomplete, and not stable. For a production digital library we
recommend using Greenstone 2.
However, you may like to try Greenstone 3 if:
* You want increased flexibility with the interface, and like using XSLT.
* You have your own library front end, and want to talk to a Greenstone
collection server using XML and SOAP.
* You want a distributed library
* You want to add exciting new features into a Greenstone library, and
have difficulty understanding the Greenstone 2 C++ source code
* You like trying out new software
* You are kind and generous and would like to help out by testing the
new software (thanks!)
Any problems, comments, questions regarding Greenstone 3, please send to
the Greenstone 3 mailing list: