Re: [greenstone-devel] greenstone preferences and history in Greek

From Michael Dewsnip
DateMon, 15 Aug 2005 11:24:21 +1200
Subject Re: [greenstone-devel] greenstone preferences and history in Greek
In-Reply-To (!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAA0QuS/RBNU0qb/Hw8Hg5jTMKAAAAQAAAArQWoqWrKp0S2NQT9595D3gEAAAAA-ucy-ac-cy)
Hi Marios,

I think this is an encoding problem. When advanced searching is on you
must have the encoding right for the search to work correctly, as
Katherine said:

> What encoding are you entering the query terms in? If it's not utf-8,
>
> then try setting the encoding (on the preferences page) to greek. does
>
> it work now?
>
Choose "Greek (Windows-1253)" from the Greenstone Preferences page and
your searches should work correctly.

Regards,

Michael

Marios wrote:

> Hi Katherine,
>
> I have fixed the error with the search history by implementing your
> recommendation. I put many time because we don’t have installed the
> C++ compiler.
>
> Bellow I present all the possible cases with Greek and English letter
>
> When I go in Greenstone Librarian Interface then Design Section then
> search type and *I don’t choice to enable advance search (form)*
>
> I have the following results when I try to search something in my
> collection:
>
> Preferences - Search preferences - Query mode- simple query mode
>
>
>
> English
>
>
>
> Greek
>
> Search
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> Ok
>
> Case differences
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> Ok
>
> Word endings
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Dislpay history
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Preferences - Search preferences - Query mode- Advance query mode
>
>
>
> English
>
>
>
> Greek
>
> Search
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> Ok
>
> Case differences
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> Ok
>
> Word endings
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Dislpay history
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> When I go in Greenstone Librarian Interface then Design Section then
> search type and I *choice to enable advance search* (form)
>
> I have the following results when I try to search something in my
> collection:
>
> Preferences - Search preferences - Query mode- simple query mode
>
>
>
> English
>
>
>
> Greek
>
> Search
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Case differences
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Word endings
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Dislpay history
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Preferences - Search preferences - Query mode- Advance query mode
>
>
>
> English
>
>
>
> Greek
>
> Search
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Case differences
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Word endings
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
> Dislpay history
>
>
>
> Ok
>
>
>
> No
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank you
>
> Marios
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Katherine Don [mailto:kjdon@cs.waikato.ac.nz]
> Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 6:31 AM
> To: Marios
> Cc: greenstone-devel@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
> Subject: Re: [greenstone-devel] greenstone preferences and history in
> Greek
>
> Hi Marios
>
>>
>
>> Firstly, when I perform a search for something in Greek, the search
> history
>
>> does not present the Greek characters correctly.
>
> This is a bug. I have fixed it for the next release. If you want to fix
>
> your version and you have a C++ compiler, then here is the fix:
>
> in src/recpt/queryaction.cpp, in method save_search_history
>
> change
>
> text_t formattedquery =cgi_safe(qstring);
>
> query += "&q="+formattedquery;
>
> to
>
> query += "&q="+qstring;
>
> then recompile the code.
>
>>
>
>> Secondly, when I go to the "Preferences" option and choose "ignore lower
>
>> case/ upper case" this function does not appear to work or respond.
>
>>
>
> Are you clicking the set preferences button? How are you leaving the
>
> preferences page? You can't use the back button, you must use one of the
>
> navigation bar buttons to go to the search page, otherwise preferences
>
> will not be changed.
>
> Does case folding work for other languages, eg english?
>
>> Thirdly, how can the choices I make in the "Preferences" option work by
>
>> default, without having to choose them each time I want to perform a
> search?
>
>>
>
> You can set the default values for preferences in etc/main.cfg:
>
> eg
>
> # sets the default value for k (case folding) to 1 (casefolding on)
>
> cgiarg shortname=k argdefault=1
>
>> Finally, at the Librarian Interface when I choose the "Enable Advanced
>
>> Searches" option and then "Form", whatever I try to search for in
> Greek will
>
>> not produce any results.
>
> What encoding are you entering the query terms in? If it's not utf-8,
>
> then try setting the encoding (on the preferences page) to greek. does
>
> it work now?
>
> Regards,
>
> Katherine Don
>
>>
>
>> Thanks
>
>>
>
>> Marios
>
>>
>
>>
>
>> Your immediate response to the above queries would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>> Thanking you in advance for your kind cooperation.
>
>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>> _______________________________________________
>
>> greenstone-devel mailing list
>
>> greenstone-devel@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
>
>> https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-devel
>
>>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>greenstone-devel mailing list
>greenstone-devel@list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
>https://list.scms.waikato.ac.nz/mailman/listinfo/greenstone-devel
>
>