[greenstone-users] Problem Building Remote Collection

From Daniel Ishimitsu
DateWed Mar 11 07:56:51 2009
Subject [greenstone-users] Problem Building Remote Collection
In-Reply-To (49B600EE-1010703-cs-waikato-ac-nz)
Hi Anupama,

Thanks for your response. I changed the 128M to 512M in gli.sh on the
server, but the same error appears at the same point. Let me know if
there's any other data I could give you to assist in the troubleshooting.

Daniel Ishimitsu

University of Hawaii
Hamilton Library, DNS

Anupama of Greenstone Team wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> We'll have to investigate your problem, but in the meantime, could you
> try evading it by allocating a larger stacksize to the Java Virtual
> Machine when running GLI.
>
>
> 1. Open the file gli.bat (if you're on Windows) or gli.sh (if you're
> on Linux) in a very basic text editor. If on Windows, I'd advise you
> to open it in Notepad rather than Wordpad.
>
>
> 2 a. If you're on Linux, then in *gli.sh*, find the line:
>
> basic_command="$javapath -Xmx128M -classpath
> classes/:GLI.jar:lib/apache.jar:lib/qfslib.jar
> org.greenstone.gatherer.GathererProg"
>
> b. If you're on Windows, then in *gli.bat* find the TWO occurrences of
> the line
> - "%JAVA_EXECUTABLE%" -Xmx128M -cp
> classes/;GLI.jar;lib/apache.jar;lib/qfslib.jar ....
>
>
> 3. Change the occurrences of "-Xmx128M" to "-Xmx256M". Try running GLI
> again and see if the StackOverflow problem is gone.
>
>
> 4. If the above did not work, repeate but by changing the value to
> -Xmx512M.
> This is now allocating half a Gigabyte of memory to the program,
> instead of the original 128 Megabytes.
>
>
> Tell us if the above doesn't help.
>
> Hopefully, it will allow you to finally get on with your work, while
> we look into the real causes behind it.
>
> Regards,
> Anupama
>
>
>
> Daniel Ishimitsu wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated! I have a Greenstone collection that
>> consists of 1,200 web pages with a total of 16,000 images (gif and
>> jpg). I'm trying to build the collection using the remote GLI (I
>> tried both the applet and the separate client program) but I get a
>> StackOverflowError along the way.
>> Loading the collection is fine (it takes about 4 minutes), I click on
>> the Create tab, then click on Complete Rebuild, then Build
>> Collection. After about 15 minutes I get an import complete message,
>> but the program seems stuck in a loop and the console displays the
>> stackoverflowerror. Below is a snipped version of the logs and also
>> the stacktrace.
>> Other added bits of messiness:
>> We're hosting the server on a linux machine, but using the remote
>> client/applet from a windows machine. The collection was initially
>> built on a windows box and moved to the linux machine (I tried
>> creating it from scratch remotely but the Gather stage stopped
>> responding after a few hundred images were uploaded)
>>
>>
>> Greenstone Message Log:
>> ************** Import Started **************
>> The file is being processed by IndexPlugin.
>> The file ttp_htms/3146.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
>> The file ttp_htms/2847.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
>> The file ttp_htms/2482.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
>> The file ttp_htms/4038.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
>> ...
>> The file ttp_htms/3026.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
>> The file ttp_htms/3101.html is being processed by StructuredHTMLPlugin.
>> ************** Import Finished **************
>> 1227 documents were considered for processing:
>> 1222 documents were processed and included in the collection.
>> 5 were rejected.
>>
>>
>> Console Output:
>> *********************************************
>> Import complete
>> *********************************************
>> <ImportComplete considered='1227' processed='1222' blocked='0'
>> ignored='0' failed='5'>
>> * 1227 documents were considered for processing
>> * 1222 were processed and included in the collection
>> * 5 were rejected
>> See /opt/gsdl/collect/trustter/etc/fail.log for a list of
>> unrecognised and/or rejected documents
>>
>> at
>> org.greenstone.gatherer.remote.RemoteGreenstoneServer.sendCommandToServer(RemoteGreenstoneServer.java:505)
>>
>> at
>> org.greenstone.gatherer.remote.RemoteGreenstoneServerAction$RunScriptAction.perform(RemoteGreenstoneServerAction.java:537)
>>
>> at
>> org.greenstone.gatherer.remote.ActionQueue.run(ActionQueue.java:134)
>> Exception in thread "RemoteGreenstoneServerActionQueue"
>> java.lang.StackOverflowError
>> at sun.awt.AppContext.get(Unknown Source)
>> at
>> com.sun.java.swing.SwingUtilities3.getDelegateRepaintManager(Unknown
>> Source)
>> at javax.swing.RepaintManager.getDelegate(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.RepaintManager.addDirtyRegion(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.JComponent.repaint(Unknown Source)
>> at java.awt.Component.repaint(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.JComponent.setFont(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.LookAndFeel.installColorsAndFont(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLabelUI.installDefaults(Unknown
>> Source)
>> at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLabelUI.installUI(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.JLabel.setUI(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.JLabel.updateUI(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.JLabel.<init>(Unknown Source)
>> at javax.swing.JLabel.<init>(Unknown Source)
>> at
>> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
>> Source)
>> at
>> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
>> Source)
>> at
>> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
>> Source)
>> at
>> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
>> Source)
>> at
>> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicOptionPaneUI.addMessageComponents(Unknown
>> Source)
>> ...(continues for about 1000 times)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>