|Keyed Joints - Course: Techniques of Fitting and Assembling Component Parts to Produce Simple Units. Trainees' Handbook of Lessons|
Keyed joints are detachable joints connecting machine parts by fasteners - keys - a non-positive way.
1 key, 2 shaft, 3 hub
Keyed joints are made in order to
- connect machine parts that shall perform rotational movements transmitting little to great rotary powers;
- connect machine parts that shall perform a to-and-fro movement where little to great axial force must be transmitted;
- connect machine parts in such a way that their exact position relative to one another can be adjusted.
If parts of machines are designed as keys or tapers, they can be connected immediately as a result of this shape. In this case, no additional wedges are required. Such machine parts must be adapted to one another very accurately. Advantage of keyed joints:
- Guarantee of function even with reciprocal stress in the form of shocks.
- With rotating machine parts, the accuracy of true running is not guaranteed in case of high peripheral speeds.