|Setting-up and Operating of Horizontal or Vertical Milling Machines - Course: Techniques for Machining of Material. Trainees' Handbook of Lessons|
The types of milling machines or their names, respectively, are attributable to their application or construction.
- Knee-type milling machines (horizontal or vertical)
- Ram-type (or saddle-type) milling machines
- Piano-milling machines
- Keyway and slot milling machines
- Form copying and engraving millers
- Thread milling machines
- Gear milling machines
- Special milling machines.
Knee-type milling machines are the most popular machines among the above-mentioned types since, in conjunction with additional attachments, they have a wide field of application. For example, the following additional attachments are available: vertical milling head, universal milling head, rotary indexing table, universal indexing head, slotting attachment.
Knee-type milling machines consist of three main units:
- Frame: base plate, column, overarm, counter bearing, knee, saddle and machine table.
- Drive: milling/spindle drive, feed drive and other drives for special attachments between milling cutter and workpiece.
- Control: elements and devices to control the relative movements between the cutter and workpiece.
1 base plate, (base) 2 column, 3 knee, 4 saddle, 5 machine table (table), 6 overarm, 7 counter bearing, 8 screw nut for knee movement, 9 coolant return line, 10 cutter arbor (long arbor), 11 main control console (control panel), 12 auxiliary control console, 13 main switch, 14 selector switch, 15 main hand adjustment, 16 auxiliary hand adjustment, 17 guideways, 18 guideway covers, 19 speed selector lever, 20 speed dial scale, 21 feed selector lever, 22 feed dial scale, 23 directions movements (X, Y, Z axes)
1 top of column (angled towards the front), 2 milling spindle head (swivel type)
Up to the A-B-C plane the frame of the vertical milling machine is similar to that of the horizontal milling machine.
Above that level, the column (1) is angular towards the front and provided with a mount for the swivel-type milling spindle head (2). Thus the milling spindle head can be swivelled to the left and right by 45 degrees each.