|Smoothing and Sanding - Course: Manual Woodworking Techniques. Trainees' Handbook of Lessons|
The use of the tools and the working steps for finishing of profiled faces depend on:
- the surface finish of the profiles produced manually or on machines,
- the shape of the profiles,
- the possibilities for using the tools.
Profiles with heavy and medium irregularities can be finished with any suitable and available smoothing and sanding tools. Profiles with slight irregularities are finished by sanding.
The selection and use of the tools depend on the shape of the profiles. Profiles are finished by tools with counterprofile or in sections by several different tools. The sanding pads with counterprofile required for sanding of profiles are specially made from hard wood.
Smoothing of profiled faces involves the following operations:
- Clamping of the workpiece with the profiled faces on top, if possible.
- Working with the scraper.
- Checking for smoothness by
· sighting over the profiled faces and/or
· touching the profiled faces.
For profiled faces having just slight irregularities, the operations planing and scraper working can be skipped.