|Milling of Grooves, Elongated Slots and Break-throughs - Course: Techniques for Machining of Material. Trainees' Handbook of Lessons|
For milling grooves, elongated slots and break-throughs the following milling tools are applied:
- slotting mill, shank cutter, T-slot shank cutter
- twist drill fluting cutter (two-flute or three-flute cutter)
- cylindrical cutter, grooving cutter, interlocked cylindrical cutters
- angular cutter with parallel shank
- radius cutter for milling radius grooves.
The milling tools mentioned shall be used with the corresponding tool clamping means and fixtures on the column-and-knee-type milling machine (horizontal or vertical milling machine) or on the groove or slot milling machine.
The milling tools used for milling grooves, elongated slots and break-throughs are mainly tools made of super high-speed steel. When tools of this material are applied it is absolutely necessary to use coolant during milling. The use of coolant also depends on the material of the workpiece. Cast materials, for example, do not require coolant.
Before using milling tools it is necessary, especially for milling grooves and elongated slots, to check
- the cutter width of cylindrical cutters or
- the cutter diameter of twist drill fluting cutters, slotting mills and shank cutters.
For checking the width of a cylindrical cutter a vernier caliper is suited and for the twist drill fluting cutter also a vernier caliper (if the cutter has two lips) or a limit gauge/bore gauge for cutters with an uneven number of lips (e.g. three-flute cutter) are suitable.
1 - cylindrical cutter (with staggered teeth)
2 vernier caliper