|Sawing - Course: Manual Woodworking Techniques. Trainees' Handbook of Lessons|
Only with perfect and sharp saws you can cut quickly, easily and precisely. Blunt saws make the job more difficult and cause a bad cutting quality.
The sharpening of saws is to be divided into the following steps:
- fasten the saw blade in the clamping device (hand vice)
- check the tooth top line and, if necessary, adjust it
- thereafter file out ground teeth
- set the teeth, i.e. the teeth are bent alternately
- sharpen the saw (file the teeth)
First set the teeth and then file!
Sequence of operations
- Check the tooth top line; examine the tooth top line for straightness or standing out tooth points.
- If there are standing out tooth points adjust them with a flat file.
1 flat file
- When adjusting smaller teeth file out with a three-square file.
- Setting of the teeth
With an alternately lateral bending of the saw teeth out of the tooth top line a free cutting action of the saw is achieved.
Saws can be set with
· a saw set or
· a saw set plier.
With a saw set you set by bending off the upper part of the tooth.
1 saw blade, 2 saw set, 3 bent saw teeth, 4 saw tooth length
With a saw set plier saws are set more uniformly. The width of set can be adjusted with an adjusting screw on the plier.
1 saw blade, 2 stationary lever of the plier, 3 movable lever which bends the saw tooth to the desired set width
What tools are saws set with before being
- Sharpening of the saw (filing of the teeth)
· Select a three-square file with a cross-section that is equal to the form of the tooth space.
· Guide the file at right angles to the saw blade and file the tooth face and the tooth back at the same time.
· Sharpen all teeth with the same number of file strokes.. Badly filed teeth are sharpened again with a few file strokes.
1 correct cross-section, 2 wrong cross-section
Why must the file always fill out the whole tooth
Files must have a tight-fitting handle in order to avoid injuries. Sticking dirt has to be removed with a solvent from the file.
What mistakes have been made with this useless and badly filed saw?
1 correct tooth form, 2 tooth point too low, 3 tooth point too high, 4 broken-off tooth, 5 tooth space distance too much
1. Correct tooth form__________