| Ethnoveterinary medicine in Asia |
|Participants and workshop staff|
|How to use this manual|
|Lack of appetite|
|Coughs and colds|
|Diarrhea and dehydration|
|Scabies or mite infestation|
|Problems of the eye|
|Care of newborn|
|Anemia in piglets|
- Feed is left uneaten.
- Animals are inactive.
- Fever from infection.
- Severe incidence of parasites, such as intestinal worms or lice.
- Mouth wounds.
If none of these is the problem, something is wrong with the feed. Change the feed type.
- Avoid abrupt changes in feed mixtures and rations.
- Deworm regularly (see Internal parasites, page 17).
- Maintain hygiene and sanitation.
- Provide good housing (see Housing, page 48).
- Vaccinate regularly against common diseases in the area.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cane molasses on 1 kg of the animal's regular feed ration. Divide this into 3 parts. Feed 23 times a day for 2-3 days.
Instead of molasses, you can add 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or 2 tablespoons of fish sauce on 1 kg of the regular feed ration. Divide this into 3 parts. Feed 2-3 times a day for 2-3 days.(Cambodia, Philippines, Thailand. l, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Mix 3 fresh (raw) eggs with 1/2 cup of molasses. Drench the mixture 2-3 times a day for 2 days.
(Indonesia, Thailand. 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Give a small bundle of fresh sweet-potato tops as feed, 23 times a day for 2 days.(Cambodia, Philippines. l, 2, 3, 4)
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 teaspoon of dried seeds of Trachyspermum ami and pound. Force-feed 1-2 teaspoons of the mixture 2-3 times a day for 23 days.(India, Philippines. 1, 2, 3)
- 2 g 1/2 teaspoon) of powder from each of the following dried plants: Swertia chirata (whole plant); Alstonia scholaris (bark, leaf and stem); and ginger (rhizome).
0.75 g (1/4 teaspoon) of powder from each OF THE following dried plants: Picrorhiza kurrooa (roots); Veronica anthelmentica (leaf, seed or whole plant); Trachyspermum ami (seeds); Peucadenum graveolens (seeds); Trigonella foenum-graecum (seeds); and Brassica nigra (seeds).
Mix all ingredients. Force-feed 3-5 g (I teaspoon) of the mixture twice a day. Treat the animal for 5-6 days or until it regains its appetite. The effectiveness of the mixture will not be affected if 2-3 of the plants mentioned are not available. (India. 1, 2, 3)