| Animal husbandry: Feeding and care of animals |
|Why learn about animal husbandry?|
If animal husbandry is to produce more, the animals must be raised in a different way.
• A farmer who wants to earn more money must look after his animals himself.
He must both grow crops and look after his animals.
In the old days there were people who grew crops and people who raised animals. Those who grew crops did not go in for animal husbandry, and those who raised animals grew no crops.
Today the same man must both grow crops and raise animals.
• The farmer must learn to look after animals.
• feed them better: especially the young animals; he must lay in reserves for the dry season, give the animals enough to drink.
• look after them better:
• build a shelter for them, protect the animals against parasites and diseases, look after them if they are hurt.
• use them better: make manure, train oxen, choose the best animals for meat, milk and work.