| Food Composition Data: A User's Perspective (1987) |
|A system for evaluating the quality of published nutrient data: Selenium, a test case|
1. W. H. Allaway, J. Kubota, F. Losee, and M. Roth, "Selenium, Molybdenum, and Vanadium in Human Blood," Arch. Environ. Health, 16: 342-348 (1968).
2. M. A. Amer and G. J. Brisson, "Selenium in Human Food Stuffs Collected at the Ste-Foy (Quebec) Food Market," J. Inst. Can. Sci. Technol. Aliment., 6: 184-187 (1973).
3. D. Arthur, "Selenium Content of Canadian Foods," Can. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. J., 5: 165-169 (1972).
4. J. C. Bruhn and A. A. Franke, "Trace Metal and Protein Concentrations in California Market Milks," J. Food Protect., 40: 170-173 (1977).
5. C. J. Cappon and J. C. Smith, "Chemical Form and Distribution of Mercury and Selenium in Edible Seafood," J. Anal. Toxicol., 6: 10-21 (1982).
6. W. G. Cochran, Sampling Techniques (John Wiley & Sons, New York 1977).
7. Committee on Dietary Allowances, Food and Nutrition Board, Commission on Life Sciences, National Research Council, Recommended Dietary Allowances, 9th ed. (National Academy Press Washington D.C., 1980).
8. J. Exler, Iron Content of Food, Home Economics Research Report, no. 45 (Consumer Nutrition Division, Human Nutrition Information Service, USDA, Washington, D.C., 1983).
9. S. N. Ganapathy, B. T. Joyner, D. R. Sawyer, and K. M. Hafner, "Selenium Content of Selected Foods," Trace Elem. Metab. Man. Anim. Proc. Int. Symp. 3rd, 1978: 322 (abstr).
10. D. M. Hadjimarkos and C. W. Bonhorst, "The Selenium Content of Eggs, Milk, and Water in Relation to Dental Caries in Children," J. Pediatr., 59: 256-259 (1961).
11. L. H. Keith, W. Crummett, J. Deegan, Jr., R. A. Libby, J. K. Taylor, and G. Wentler, "Principles of Environmental Analysis," Anal. Chem., 55: 2210-2218 (1983).
12. W. R. Mabey, J. S. Winterle, T. Podoll, et al., "Elements of a Quality Data Base for Environmental Fate Assessment, Final Report," Environmental Protection Agency Contract no. 68-03-2981, SRI Project PYU 2073, Work Assignment no. 6, 5 July 1984.
13. V. C. Morris and O. A. Levander, "Selenium Content of Foods," J. Nutr.. 100: 1383 1388 (1970).
14. A. L. Moxon and D. L. Palmquist, "Selenium Content of Foods Grown or Sold in Ohio," Ohio Report,Report, 65: 13-14 (1980).
15. National Bureau of Standards Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1577a, Bovine Liver (National Bureau of Standards Washington D.C., 1982).
16. National Bureau of Standards Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1549, Non-Fat Milk Powder (National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., 1984).
17. National Bureau of Standards Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1571, Orchard Leaves (National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., 1977).
18. National Bureau of Standards Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1566, Oyster Tissue (National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., 1979).
19. National Bureau of Standards Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1568, Rice Flour (National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., 1978).
20. National Bureau of Standards Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1567, Wheat Flour (National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., 1978).
21. O. E. Olson and 1. S. Palmer, "Selenium in Foods Consumed by South Dakotans," Proc. S. D. Acad. Sci., 57: 113-121 (1978).
22. O. E. Olson, I. S. Palmer and M. Howe, Sr., "Selenium in Foods Purchased or Produced in South Dakota," J. Food Sci., 49: 446-452 (1984).
23. J. A. T. Pennington, B. E. Young, D. B. Wilson R. D. Johnson and J. E. Vanderveen, "Mineral Content of Foods and Total Diets: The Selected Minerals in Foods Survey, 19821984," J. Amer. Diet. Assoc. (in press).
24. H. A. Schroeder, D. V. Frost, and J. J. Balassa, "Essential Trace Metals in Man: Selenium," J. Chron. Dis., 23: 227-243 (1970).
25. K. K. Stewart, "Nutrient Analyses of Food: A Review and a Strategy for the Future," in G. R. Beecher, ea., Nutrition Research, BARC Symposium no. 4 (Allanheld, Osmun & Co. Publishers, Totowa, N.J., 1981), pp. 209-220.
26. K. K. Stewart, "The State of Food Composition Data: An Overview with Some Suggestions," Food Nutr. Bull., 5: 54 68 (1984).
27. S. Williams, ed., Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 14th ed. (Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D.C., 1984).
28. W. R. Wolf and M. Ihnat, "Evaluation of Available Certified Biological Reference Materials for Inorganic Nutrient Analysis, in W. R. Wolf, ea., Biological Reference Materials: A vailability, Uses, and Need for Validation of Nutrient Measurement (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1985), pp. 89-105.
29. US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Statistics (US Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1983).