| Wind systems for pumping water: A training manual |
TOTAL TIME: 1 Hours
OBJECTIVES: To learn some of the factors affecting large projects.
To learn how to analyze a community situation regarding the possibility of a community wind project.
MATERIALS: Blackboard or equivalent
The difference between the big projects and the small ones is the increase in stress on all the people and systems involved.
Step 1: 30 minutes
Examine and discuss this increase in stress in terms of:
• The windmill
• The pump
• The water resources
• The material resources
• The people involved in building and maintenance
• The community
Step 2: 30 minutes
In terms of the community, discuss some of the important issues:
• Who will pay for the system?
• Who will build it?
• Who will gain by it?
• Who will lose by it?
• Who supports it being built?
• Who opposes it being built?
• Who will maintain it?
• Who will pay for the maintenance?
• What skills and crafts are available?
• What changes might occur in the community (cultural, environmental, health, religious beliefs, agricultural methods, traditional gender roles, economy) if the system is built?
No technologies are without their impact on the environment. Discuss difficulties created by windmills in the past.