| Biology demonstration manual |
Lesson: La nutrition des plantes
Rationale: Demonstrate the transport of water by vascular bundles by showing that dye is transported up through a plant.
1. The night before pick hibiscus flowers leaving a 6-10 cm stem. Do not put them in water.
2. In class, show the flower and point out that the calice is all green.
3. Put the flower in a glass of methylene blue and put it in the sun.
4. Wait about a half hour or until the methylene blue is visible in the veins of the calice.
5. Show the blue veins in the calice or cut the stem to show the dye in cross section. It's a bit more difficult to see the dye in the stem.
Note: Kool-aid, Sirop or other food coloring will also work but the blue is much more striking and easier to see.
Source: Hatier Biologie 6Ã¨me, p. 65.