| Biology demonstration manual |
Class: 6Ã¨me, 3Ã¨me
Lesson: La respiration aerienne/L'appareil respiratoire
Rationale: Measure lung capacity by trapping exhaled air in an inverted bottle of water.
5 l bottle (like the ones used for making palm wine)
hose (available in Bangui hardware stores or your water filter)
large dish pan (at least 41 capacity)
~6 I water
plastic lid or cork (for inverting the bottle)
1. Calibrate the bottle by liters.
2. Fill the bottle with water and invert it in a dishpan of water.
3. Insert the hose in the neck of the bottle.
4. Have the student take a deep breath and exhale through the hose so that the air collects in the bottle displacing the water.
5. The amount of water displaced equals the lung capacity.
Source: Mackean Introduction to Biology, p. 105.