| Biology demonstration manual |
Class: 6Ã¨me, 3Ã¨me
Lesson: La respiration aerienne/ L'appareil respiratoire
Rationale: Use a model to demonstrate that the contraction of the diaphragm causes air to enter the lungs.
plastic bottle (from bottled water or oil)
holed rubber stopper (science kit)
6 inch clear plastic tube (science kit)
1. Cut off the bottom of the bottle.
2. Cut off the neck of one balloon.
3. Stretch the bottom of the balloon over the bottom of the bottle.
4. Insert the tube in the rubber stopper.
5. Attach the second balloon to the end of the tube with a rubber band.
6. Fix the stopper-tube-balloon assembly in the bottle.
7. Pulling down on the bottom covering of the bottle (diaphragm) will cause the inside to inflate.
Source: UNESCO p. 2.317.