| Development in conflict: The gender dimension |
1. Derek Summerfield, 'The psychosocial effects of conflict in the Third World', Development in Practice Vol 1 No 3, 1991.
2. Catherine Bennett, "Ordinary madness", Guardian, January 1993.
3. Press reports of rape in former Yugoslavia, 1993.
5. Rosanna Carrillo, Violence against women: an obstacle to development, New York, Centre for Women's Global Leadership, 1991.
6. Ed Vulliamy, 'Pope warns raped women on abortion', Guardian, 1 March 1993.
7. Bennett op.cit.
8. CÃ©cile Mukaruguba, ACORD, personal communication.
9. Chris McGreal, "Rename conceals child "brides" of boy soldiers", Guardian 11 June 1993. 10 Derek Summerfield, 'The psychological effects of conflict in the third world: a short study', Oxfam 1990.
11. Oxfam Health Unit, 'Effects of conflict on women'. (Paper prepared for gender and conflict workshop.)
13. Bennett op.cit.
14. "Eritrean women-the beginning of a new struggle", African World Review May-Oct 1993.
15. Eugenia Piza-Lopez, personal account of observations in El Quiche, Guatemala.
16. Karl Maier, "Women fall victim to Somalia's prejudice', Independent, 5 January 1993.
17. Vulliamy, op.cit.
19. Women's Caucus document, UN Conference on Human Rights, Vienna, 1993.
20. CCIC/Match Two halves make a whole, Ottawa, 1991; Mary B Anderson et al A framework for people-oriented planning in refugee situations taking account of women, men and children, UNHCR 1992.
21. Mary B Anderson and Peter Woodrow, Rising from the ashes, West view Press/UNESCO 1989.
22. Sara Hlupekile Longwe, 'Gender Awareness: the missing element in the third world development project', Changing Perceptions, Oxfam 1991.
23. See for example Bridget Walker 'Disaster relief: the gender perspective', Oxfam 1993.
24. N Kelley, Working with refugee women: a practical guide, NGO Working Group on Refugee Women, 1989.
25. UNHCR policy on refugee women. Submitted by the High Commissioner to the Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme.
26. Elizabeth Ferris Women, war and peace: an issue paper, Life and Peace Institute, Uppsala 1992.
27. Linda Agerbak 'Breaking the cycle of violence', Development in practice Vol. 1 No. 3, 1991.
28. N Kelley, Working with Refugee Women: A Practical Guide, Geneva: NGO Working Group on Refugee Women.
29. Elizabeth Ferris, 'Refugee Women and Family Life', in McCallin M (ed), The Psychological Well-Being of Refugee Children: Research, Practice and Policy Issues, ICCB, Geneva.
30 UNHCR Technical Support Services, UNHCR and Refugee Women. February 1989.
31. A Mahjoub 'The Theory of Stress As An Approach to Studying Psychological Responses in a War Environment', in McCallin M (ed) The Psychological Well-Being of Refugee Children: Research, Practice and Policy Issues, ICCB, Geneva.
32. M McCallin and S Fozzard, The Impact of Traumatic Events on the Psychological WellBeing of Mozambican Refugee Women and Children, International Catholic Child Bureau, Geneva, 1990. (Summary by N. Taylor in Health Unit).
33. Derek Summerfield 'Charting Human Response to Extreme Violence and the Limitations of Western Psychiatric Models: An Overview'. Presented in ISTSS World Conference: Trauma and Tragedy. Amsterdam June 1992.
34. Derek Summerfield, 'Psychosocial Effects of Conflict in the Third World: A Short Study', Oxfam, 1990.