| A training manual in conducting a workshop in the design, construction, operation, maintenance and repair of hydrams |
Session 15, Handout 15A
1. What are the maximum recommended H & h in a 2" hydram where the impulse backing plate is thick, the impulse seat area is , has impulse valve bolts " in diameter, has a check valve backing plate " thick, and a check valve seat width of "?
Answer the following with a graph if you wish:
2. How does the amount of air in the accumulator effect "n"?
3. How does the h:H ratio effect "n"?
4. How does the frequency effect ''Qw''?
5. How does the snifter effect "q"?
6. Tomorrow you are going out to an existing hydram site where there is only 100 gpd being delivered, there is a reliable supply of 3 gpm and an h:H ratio of 10:1. The ram works consistently but the efficiency is so low that only ½ the water needed is being pumped. Do you feel 200 gpd can be pumped if the hydram and/or installation is corrected to improve the efficiency to a reasonable level? If yes, what are you going to look for as a possible reason for low efficiency? (At this point you know nothing else about the hydram or the manner in which it is installed) list as many factors as you can think of.