|Stress Management in Disasters (Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) / Organización Panamericana de la Salud (OPS) - WHO - OMS, 2001, 144 p.)|
1. Define a disaster.
2. Understand the characteristics of disasters.
3. Appreciate the possible impact of a disaster.
4. Describe the psychological profile of the emergency response worker.
5. List the possible occupational stressors encountered by emergency response personnel.
6. Outline the psychological syndromes associated with traumatic stressors.
7. Recognize the common signs and symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndromes.
8. Understand the principles of preventing and managing critical incident stress.
9. Outline the components of the SMID program.
10. Demonstrate crisis intervention and counseling skills in simulated exercises.
11. Demonstrate defusing and debriefing skills in simulated exercises.
12. Be able to plan and implement a SMID program in an organization or in the wider community.