|Communicable Disease Control in Emergencies - A Field Manual (WHO - OMS, 2003, 223 p.)|
|CHAPTER 1: RAPID ASSESSMENT|
The rapid health assessment team should consist of:
· a public health expert/epidemiologist
· a nutritionist
· a logistician/administrative officer
· a water and sanitation/environmental health specialist.
One member must be designated as team leader.
The tasks of the team during this initial phase are to:
· prepare a rapid health assessment checklist
· prepare a timetable of assessment
· assign tasks
· obtain necessary equipment (e.g. computers, scales, laboratory supplies)
· organize visas, transport, vehicles, fuel
· set up a communication system
· inform the local authorities
· inform potential donors and key decision-makers.