|Oral Rehydration Therapy and the Control of Diarrheal Diseases (Peace Corps, 1985, 566 pages)|
|Module Two: Diarrhea, dehydration and rehydration|
This module includes the basic technical core of oral rehydration therapy knowledge and skills. Session Three provides an overview of the prevention control of diarrhea. Sessions 4 and 5 include demonstration and practice in basic skills in dehydration assessment and preparing and using oral rehydration therapy. Session 6 discusses problems encountered in using ORT in the home.
· To describe at least three mayor points on the route of transmission of diarrheal diseases.
· To list at least four ways that sanitation and good hygiene can control and prevent the spread of diarrhea.
· To correctly assess three stages of dehydration using the WHO Treatment Chart and case studies,
· To determine appropriate treatment for the three stages of oral rehydration according to the WHO criteria stated in the Treatment of Diarrhea,
· To correctly prepare sugar-salt solution and mix ORS packets according to the WHO recommendations stated in the Treatment of Diarrhea,
· To list the four basic ingredients in ORS packets and explain the purpose that each serves as stated in Session 5.
· To accurately describe four problems commonly encountered in using ORT in the home and describe one culturally appropriate, feasible way to resolve each problem.
Cross reference with the Technical Health Training Manual:
Session 5 Primary Health Care
Session 42 Improving Health Through Safe Water and a Clean Community