98. Practice managing change
[References - 81]
Here are some tips for being a successful change
- Share your excitement about the upcoming change.
People need this to replace their former vision.
- Share as much information as you can about the change.
This helps people to deal with anxieties and uncertainties about their own
future, and helps avoid the spread of misunderstandings and rumours.
- Invite others to participate in the choices that have to be made
about the change. That will generate ownership of the change.
- Keep surprises to a minimum. Communicate the plan in
small, easy-to-understand steps.
- Go fast enough to keep people interested and motivated,
but not so fast that confusion and uncertainty become a problem.
- Communicate your expectations for performance under the
change clearly and consistently.
- Highlight the benefits of the change as soon as they
- If someone is going to lose because of the change, inform
them early and help them to find a way to become winners, also.
- Change only that which is necessary to change. Some
familiarity with past routines is healthy for continuity and efficient
- Overcommunicate. Never assume that you have been
completely understood, particularly by those who may be resisting the