|Education for Health (WHO, 1988, 261 pages)|
|Chapter 1: Health behavior and health education|
We have to think of many things when we want to help individuals, families, and communities prevent disease and promote health.
Spreading the word about what people should do to be healthy is important. But this is not enough. We have to understand that, in many situations, it is not only the individual who needs to change. There are other things that influence the way people behave: the place in which they live, the people around them, the work they do, whether they are able to earn enough money all these things have a great influence, and we must take them into consideration.
Our first effort must be therefore to listen, to learn, and to understand.
In this chapter we will see:
- The factors that influence health and illness including people's own actions
- What makes people behave as they do
- Changes occurring in behavior, naturally or through planned action
- Ways to help people improve their behavior
Then we will discuss:
- What we really mean by health education
- Who is a health educator