|International Health Relief Assistance (PAHO, 1986, 32 pages)|
Disaster preparedness must be granted the importance it deserves.
Stressing the need for the countries to be self-reliant in the provision of immediate health care to disaster victims;
Considering the need to grant to disaster preparedness the importance it deserves; and
Taking into consideration the resolutions adopted by the PAHO Directing Council,
1. PAHO Member Countries increase their efforts to comply with the resolutions adopted by the PAHO Directing Council.
2. Donor countries and organizations support, to the extent possible, the activities of international agencies, national health services, and other groups in disaster preparedness activities.
3. Countries and international organizations, taking advantage of acquired experiences, support field investigations in order to determine the needs related to the different types of disaster.
4. Countries develop, to the extent possible, bilateral collaboration projects between neighboring countries in order to provide timely regional assistance.
5. Training of emergency preparedness in case of disaster be encouraged at all educational levels.