|Health Services Organization in the Event of Disaster (PAHO, 1989, 129 pages)|
|Chapter 6: Implementing the plan in hospitals|
The director of the hospital's public relations office has the following responsibilities:
1) Seeing to it that the press area is under no circumstances set up within a treatment area.
2) Issuing press releases about the number and condition of the victims. Their names should be supplied only after the next-of-kin has been notified by the social worker or employee assigned to this duty.
3) At the outset of the disaster, bulletins will be issued approximately 15 minutes apart; depending on the duration of the disaster, they will be issued thereafter at longer intervals or only when necessary.
4) Maintaining a list of all calls received from the press.
5) If an official statement is necessary, it should be made by the hospital administrator.
6) The public relations officer should make certain that no patient is identifiable in any photograph issued.