|Analysis of the Curriculum as Documented at the National Teacher Training College in Lesotho (CIE, 2001, 40 p.)|
|Chapter 5: Mathematics|
There are long lists of objectives (22 in BC/Year 1, 6 in Year 2, 8 in Year 3). Out of this total of 36, 29 concern mathematical knowledge, and are phrased as such:
- construct geometrical shapes, angles and lines
- use statistical tools of analysis
- solve simultaneous linear equations
In the 6 objectives related to pedagogic content and curricular knowledge, students are required to:
- review and critique the primary maths syllabus, relate it to theories of learning, and formulate teaching strategies (Year 1).
- In Year 2 they are to construct and use mathematical models for teaching, and relate games to mathematics teaching and learning.
- The Year 3 syllabus has no clear relevance to teaching, although it includes conducting a qualitative research project of an unspecified nature.