|Health Services Organization in the Event of Disaster (PAHO)|
|Chapter 6: Implementing the plan in hospitals|
1) The heliport will be the reception area for cases arriving by air.
2) Nurses and physicians assigned to this area will have the essential supplies and equipment available for initiating the stabilization of patients arriving by helicopter prior to their removal to the treatment areas.
3) The physicians and nurses in charge of staffing the heliport area will also be responsible for performing triage in such cases, following procedures similar to those established by the triage officer.
4) All supplies and equipment needed for triage and the stabilization of patients arriving by helicopter will be taken to the reception area by hospital security staff.
5) Communications between the heliport and the command post will be maintained by means of walkie-talkies carried by hospital security staff; one staff member will be stationed at the heliport and another at the command post.