|Post-Durban Update on ARVs for MTCT-prevention (UNAIDS, 2000, 8 p.)|
Tim Farley,a Dirk Buyse and Philippe
Department of Reproductive Health and Research
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
and Jos Perriens
and Department of Policy, Strategy and Research, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland
a Tel: +41 22 791 33 10, fax: +41 22 791 41 71, email: email@example.com
At the 13th AIDS Conference in Durban new data from the following randomized clinical trials on the use of antiretrovirals (ARVs) to prevent mother to child transmission were presented:
· PETRA Trial (South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda)
· Perinatal HIV Prevention Trial (Thailand)
· ANRS/CDC pooled analysis - West Africa (CdIvoire and Burkina Faso)
· SAINT Study (South Africa)
· HIVNET012 trial (Uganda)
· BMS AI455-094 (South Africa).
Observational data from the USA addressed the efficacy and safety of combination ARVs. The attached tables summarize these new results together with the previously available results.