|The African AIDS Vaccine Programme (UNAIDS, 2001, 2 p.)|
· Involves all countries in the region.
· Coordinates efforts with the International Partnership Against AIDS in Africa (IPAA) and with other regional and national HIV programmes.
· Serves as a transparent collaborative process, with equitable participation of multiple partners, from the public and private sector, from countries in the region, and from the international community.
· Is being developed as a long-term and sustainable effort.
· Promotes research with the utmost respect for human rights.
· Aspires to the highest ethical and scientific standards.
· Ensures full community participation.
· Promotes simultaneous development and evaluation of several candidate vaccines, focusing on those deemed more appropriate for the region.
· Contributes to the development of HIV vaccines, consistent with the concept of an international public good.