|A Strategic Approach Towards an AIDS-competent Society (Technical Note no.1) (UNAIDS, 2000, 9 p.)|
The feedback process of learning from direct action will help local partners adjust the criteria for what determines AIDS competence, and the means by which it can be achieved. At the same time, the local response support team should collect the various lessons from around the district and, using these, refine the definition of AIDS competence and the means of attaining it.
As an example, in November 1999, the Provincial Multisectoral AIDS Committee of Gaoua, Burkina Faso, reached a definition of AIDS competence that included the following criteria:
· a change in individual sexual behaviour
· a reduction in the stigmatization of HIV-positive individuals
· a spontaneous willingness to come forward to be tested for HIV
· improvement in the quality of hospital care
· increased mobilization of people against AIDS
· a reduction or stability in HIV prevalence.