|Update on Country Activities, Presented at the First Meeting of the Contact Group (UNAIDS, 2000, 61 p.)|
Linkage with other UN initiatives
· UNAIDS Drug Access Initiative
· Mapping of sources and prices of drugs for PLWA
· Analysis of the patent situation of HIV related drugs
· Support to IPAA countries to improve access to essential drugs
· Clarification of UNAIDS views on intellectual property and HIV drugs at the WTO conference in Seattle and WHA
· Inclusion of 15 HIV-related drugs in the WHO Model List of Essential Drugs since 1997
· PAHO bulk procurement for antiretrovirals
At this stage in the process, negotiations at the country level have not yet started. We hope that at least some negotiations will be initiated soon, but again, this requires that the governments decide to go ahead with them, and agree to have the UN in a facilitatory role.
What we would bring to the process is our experience in the Drug Access Initiative, knowledge about the supply sources of the drugs of interest, about what drugs can be legally used in which setting, experience in Drug Management, and an awareness of the opportunities and limitations of the different solutions that could be envisaged.