|Better Farming Series 23. Coffee (FAO Better Farming series, 1977, 36 p.)|
41. Good coffee beans can be sold at a good price.
Bad coffee beans cannot be sold at a good price.
If you want to earn a lot of money, you must sell good coffee beans.
To get good coffee beans, you must harvest the berried properly.
· Do not pick all the berries at the same time.
· Pick only berries that are quite ripe: those which are red.
· Leave on the tree any berries that are not ripe, that are still a little green.
· Pick the remaining berries when they are ripe.
· You should harvest three or four times a year.
When harvesting, sort out the good berries and the bad berries.
Burn dry berries, black berries, berries that have dropped to the ground, for they contain parasites which cause diseases.
In Africa yields are low: 100 to 500 kilogrammes of berries per hectare.
In South America yields are sometimes more than 1000 kilogrammes per hectare.