|Basic Husbandry Practices and Veterinary Care (IIRR)|
When a calf has been delivered, check whether it is breathing. If not, do one or a combination of the following:
Grasp the animal's hindlegs and raise them so fluids will be drained.
- Swing or shake the animal.
- Clean its mouth by removing the mucus with your fingers.
- Tickle the nasal cavity with a piece of rice straw.
- Slap or gently massage the rib
- If these fail, do artificial respiration by blowing air into the mouth of the young animal.
When breathing has started, dry the young animal with a rough cloth. Dab the navel with diluted tincture of iodine. Help a weak animal suck colostrum (the first milk) from the mother.