|Outreach No. 66 - Drugs Part 3: Herbal Medicine (New York University - TVE - UNEP - WWF, 40 p.)|
The statements below - which describe either traditional herbal medicine or modern western medicines - are incomplete. Fill in the gaps using either the phrase traditional medicines or modern medicines.
1. Some 40% of _______ come from natural plant or animal products, or contain artificially-produced copies of natural chemicals.
2. In the Third World, 75%-90% of rural dwellers (up to 3.5 billion people) rely on _______ as their primary health care.
3. _______ are made in a laboratory, and are tested for quality and strength in order that they may be as safe as possible when used for the correct purpose.
4. _______ have usually been tested so that their effect on human health is known.
5. ______ are part of the local culture, and knowledge about how to prepare and use them has been passed down through the ages from parents to children.
6. _______ are usually packaged so the drugs are sterile and labelled to show the name, strength, safety warnings, expiry date and directions for use.
7. _______ are usually made from plants, whose strength, stability and purity differ with each quantity made.
8. In many cases, the full effects of _______ are not known, but they continue to be used because of cultural habits.
9. _______ are not packaged under laboratory conditions, and so may be contaminated.
10. _______ are rarely labelled with their name, strength, safety warnings or directions for use.
11. In the Third World, many people cannot afford to pay the prices for _______.
12. Pharmacies, hospitals and clinics, where _______ are available, are often located far away from communities where many people live.
13. In less developed countries, _______ offer a cheap, readily available and familiar way of healing.
14. There are useful, useless and harmful _______ and ______
1. modern medicines; 2. traditional medicines; 3. modern medicines; 4. modern medicines; 5. traditional medicines; 6. modern medicines; 7. traditional medicines; 8. traditional medicines; 9. traditional medicines; 10. traditional medicines; 11. modern medicines; 12. modern medicines; 13. traditional medicines; 14. traditional medicines, modern medicines.