|Handbook for Emergencies - Second Edition (UNHCR, 1999, 414 p.)|
|23. Staff safety|
· The primary responsibility for the safety of staff members, their dependants and property and that of the organization, rests with the host government;
· Every effort should be made to facilitate the tasks of the government in the discharge of its responsibilities by making appropriate supporting arrangements and through regular liaison and exchange of information with the host country security officials;
· All of the recommendations below should be considered in addition to, and complementary with, actions taken by the host country security officials;
· Every office should have a security plan and a medical evacuation plan;
· The cardinal rule for landmines is that when in doubt, stay away. Inform the host country military. Any suspicious object should be treated as a landmine or booby trap.